Autograph Album from Junior High, 1935 - Treasure Chest Thursday

(Digital Image. Album Privately Held By Cynthia Shenette; Text and Images, Copyright (c) 2014 Cynthia Shenette)


Christine Sharayko

"To keep my friends
Is my delight
So in this book
I pray you'll write."
***

My mom, Christine (Szerejko) Shenette, went to Providence Street Junior High School in Worcester, MA in the 1930s.  Apparently, she and her junior high friends shared in the age old tradition of exchanging autographs.  It's funny how some end of the school year activities don't change.  I had an autograph album when I was a kid, and last week my son came home with a tee-shirt signed by all of his classmates.  The medium has changed, but the tradition has not. 

If you had an album back in the day I bet you can relate to the sentiments expressed here. Some are classics and have probably been written over and over in countless albums and yearbooks.  Still, it's fun to read them and imagine my mom going around collecting and signing autographs from her friends on that June day 79 years ago. 



Hook or by crook
I am the first
to write in your
book
An Everlasting School-
mate,
Jane Parath
Class of 1935
***

Don't be #
Don't be b
Just be [natural]
"Schoolmate"
Edith
Stonequist
***

June 25, 1935
Think of me long;
Think of me ever;
Think of the fun,
We've had together.
Always a friend;
Dorothy Morris
***


Eleanor Mikoloski
69 Harlem St. Worcester, Mass
Tel = 3-4978
Yours til Atlantic Ocean
wears pants,
To keep it's bottom dry.
***

If you get to heaven
before I do
Poke a hole + pull
me through
R.J.S.
***

June 24, 1935
If in the world a
secret you know,
Tell not your friend
Tell not your foe,
For when your friend
became your foe
Then all the world
your secret will know.
(205) Myrtle Olson
***

Roses are Red
Voilets are blue
pickels are sour
and so are you
Alden Gates
1935
***
(Got a little crush Alden?)

"1935"
Down the Lane he led her
The heaven was "studded"
with stars
Down to the gate
he led her
For her he opened the
bars
She turned her soft
eyes upon him
But theres nothing
between them now
He was just a hired man
and she a Jersey Cow
You Everlasting Friend Stella Rosochacki
***
(I think Stella and I would have really liked each other...)



Remember the girl in the
city
Remember the girl in the
town
Remember the girl who spoiled
your book
By writing upside
down
Yours Truly
Evelyn Robbins
***

Remember always a
Pal.
Sonia Mouskowitz
***

In your chain of
friendship consider
me a link
Edith Sklut
Yours till rats eat cats
***

Policeman Policeman do
Your duty,
Here comes Christine the
American Beauty
Your Schoolmate
Rose Morris
(Don't take this seriously)
***

When you
are married
and hubby gets
mad
Pick up a pocker [poker?] and
say I am boss
A pal
Rita A.
***

Christine Sharayko
Robert Smith
***

First come Friendship,
Them comes Marriage,
Then come Christine
pushing a baby
carriage.
A Friend
Cecelia Tilenda
***

Just a friend
Lillian Tarkiainen
June 25, 1935
***

Forget
Me
Not
Beatrice Sher
8' H.R. 205
(your Pal)
***
(It's nice to know Mom and Beatrice were in home room (H.R.) 205 together!)

Roses are red
Violets are ducking
When a girl gets out of
High School
She is ready for
College
Albert Quist
206
***


A. Louise Jones
~[G clef]~
***


Mildred Balcome
Providence St. Jr. High
June 25, 1935
***
(Many of the autographs are written with beautiful handwriting.  Why is it that we don't teach cursive anymore?)

Onward and Upward
Cora A. Stanton
Providence St. Jr. High School
***

schoolmate
Ray Luce
June 1935
P.S.J.H.
***

When Christine was a little
girl she use to play
with toys
But she goes to J.H.S. now
she plays with all the boys
Your schoolpal
Rose Potkaj
***

Nils Stead
Providence St. J.H.S.
June 1935
***

With Best Regards
Lula E. Mills Art
June 25, 1935.
***
(It's fun to know Lula and Mom were in art class together.)

Howard C. Norbeck,
24 Aurilla St.
Worcester,
Mass.
***

F.G. McGrath
***

Mildred Collins
***

Douglas (Pest) Wakefield
Providence J.H.S.

(Pest?  Another junior high crush perhaps?)

Sincerely!
Katherine L. Power
June, 1935
***

Christine it is
Christine forever
Sherako it is
But not forevever.
just an old
Pal
Anna Migliozzi
***

Raymond Stokowski
172 Vernon St.
Worcester
Mass.
***

When you marry and
get twins
Don't come to borrow my
pins.
Your's til' powder
puffs.
"Millie"
J.G.D.
***
(Your's til powder puffs?  I think I would have liked Millie, too.  I can see me and Mom and Stella and Millie all heading down to Liggett's for a Coke after class...)

Police man
Police man
due your duty
catch Christine
the American beauty
Doris Soderberg
Worcester
Mass
***


By hook or by Crook
I am the last
to write in this book.
Ruth Waska
***

If you are related to or knew any of the students from the Providence Street Junior High School Class of 1935 who signed my mother's autograph album I'd love to hear from you!



Other Posts You Might Like:

Climbing Over Rocky Mountain - Wordless Wednesday
Picture Day, Circa 1927 - Wordless Wednesday
Happy Acres - Those Places Thursday
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun...

No comments: