The Civilian Conservation Corps in New Hampshire (Part 6) - Wordless Wednesday


(Digital Images. Photographs Privately Held By Cynthia Shenette; Text Copyright (c) 2013 Cynthia Shenette) Here is the latest installment in my series of posts featuring photos from my dad's album from the Civilian Conservation Corps.  My previous posts showed photos which focused more on camp life in the CCCs with only a few photos of the construction of the dam in Campton, New Hampshire.  This post is all about the actual construction of the dam. It's easy to drive by a dam or bridge or public works project of any kind and take the construction of the project for granted.  I think these photos really show some of the labor it took to build the dam, and they are especially poignant when you take into account the young age of the recruits and building methods at the time the dam was built in the 1930s.











Other Posts You Might Like:

Flash Back! The Life and Times of Francois Chenet (Greatly Abridged)
Wordless Wednesday: A Good Catch
The Haircut - Wordless Wednesday
Shore Leave - Wordless Wednesday

3 comments:

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

I love that you have photos of your Dad's service in the CCC. After my post this week, many people wrote that they didn't even know where their Dad or Grandfather served during their time in the CCC. I think about these young men everytime I drive on Rt. 3 in NH, or visit the state parks. They were all developed and built by these men.

Cynthia Shenette said...

Thanks, Heather! I feel very fortunate to have them. My dad was not a sentimental guy, but I do know these photos meant a lot to him. I suspect his time in the CCCs agreed with him and may have had a major impact on his decision to enter and stay in the military for 20 plus years. I wonder how many other young men were changed by their CCC experience as well.

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

Cynthia, when we were at the museum there were many photos of reunions with the different groups of CCC workers. The guest book was full of names that mentioned they, or a family member, were CCC workers. I think many of the men must have enjoyed their service if they were still attending reunions when they were in their 90s!