Jump! - Wordless Wednesday

Robert A. Szerejko (05 May 1929 - 04 May 2012)
(Digital Image. Photograph Privately Held By Cynthia Shenette;  Photograph and Text, Copyright (c) 2013 Cynthia Shenette) This is a photo of my mom's brother, Bob Szerejko, ski jumping.  I don't know for sure, but my guess is the photo was probably taken sometime in the late 1940s.  Ski jumping on wooden skis and without helmets wasn't for the faint of heart back in the day.  My mom said she and her dad went to watch him jump just once.  She said she couldn't stand it.  She was sure he was going to kill himself.  He didn't.

Fly high, Uncle Bob.  Fly high.


Other Posts You Might Like:

Holy Cross Church, Warsaw, Poland - Sentimental Sunday
A Window in Time, April 11, 1940
Circus Girls Are "Normal" - Amanuensis Monday
The Jozef Walkowski Children, Kepno, Poland - Wordless Wednesday


4 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm glad he didn't kill himself. I would have felt the same way as your mother!

Cynthia Shenette said...

Kristin - I think it's a mom thing. Every time my son mentions learning how to snowboard I cringe...

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

Where was this ski area? Was it near Worcester? There used to be a lot of small family run ski areas, but I don't know which ones did ski jumping.

Cynthia Shenette said...

Heather - I don't know exactly which one it was. It may be Wachusett Mountain. My uncle was an avid skier and lived near the mountain. I remember he even worked at Wachusett for a few years when I was a kid. If I ever find out more I will be sure to post an update. Thanks for asking!