On the Anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall, November 9, 1989

Berlin Wall, Photo Taken from West Berlin,  June 6, 1982 
(Digital Images. Photographs Privately Held By Cynthia Shenette; Photographs and Text, Copyright (c) 2012 Cynthia Shenette)  I'll be the first to admit these photos are not in the best condition.  I took them on a trip when I traveled around Europe in May and June of 1982.  Of course my trip photos were special to me so I put them in one of those nasty magnetic photo albums to preserve them for posterity.  It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Berlin Wall and Brandenburg Gate, Taken from West Berlin, June 6, 1982
All in all I spent about a month in Europe, and probably a week of that time was spent in Germany.  We mainly visited West Germany but did drive through East Germany traveling through a variety of checkpoints to get to West Berlin where our tour group was staying.  We visited the Reichstag and the Munich Zoo among other places of interest, but my most vivid memory is not surprisingly of the Berlin Wall.  Three or four friends and I also took a day trip and crossed the border into East Berlin.  My trip was a long time ago, but I still remember going through Checkpoint Charlie.  The German guards were kids, about our age, with machine guns. 

Berlin Wall, Taken from West Berlin, June 6, 1982
I've wanted to post these photos for a while, and the anniversary of the fall of the wall seemed like a good date to finally do it.


Other Posts You Might Like:

Photo Story: Three Brothers Stay in Poland (Part 2 of 3)
Photo Story: Three Brothers Stay in Poland (Part 3 of 3)
Amanuensis Monday: Clairvoyants and Distractions
(Almost) Wordless Wednesday: The Play, Elizabeth

No comments: