Picture Day, Circa 1927 - Wordless Wednesday


(Digital Image. Privately Held By Cynthia Shenette; Text Copyright (c) 2012 Cynthia Shenette) Class pictures have been a "rite of spring" for decades.  My mom is the first little girl on the left in the second row.  I don't know how old she is in this photo, but my guess is about six which would make her in first grade. I believe the photo was taken at the Malvern Road School in Worcester, Massachusetts.

Look at the size of the class.  Thirty-three pupils!  Wow!  I bet that teacher had her hands full!  I love the expressions on the children's faces and especially love the ties on some of the little boys.  As the mother of a boy I know the challenges of getting a boy dressed and out the door looking tidy. I swear he steps out the door and looks like a disheveled mess before he hits the stairs.  I suspect moms for decades have been saying, "Couldn't you straighten your tie and tuck in your shirt before they took the picture?"


Other Posts You Might Like:

First Communion - Mystery Monday
Mom, At the Ballet - Wordless Wednesday
Catechists, Our Lady of Czestochowa - Wordless Wednesday
Post World War II "Care" Packages - Amanuensis Monday

3 comments:

TCasteel said...

Look at all the little girls. They have the stylish short bob. Darling.

Kristin said...

There are so many more girls than boys! Some of the girls look like they'd rather be some where else.

Cynthia Shenette said...

Thank you for your comments!

Great observations about there being more girls than boys! If the photo was taken during an earlier time period I'd suspect the boys might be off working, but not around 1927. Hmmm. Maybe they were playing hooky? ;)