Christmas in Poland, 1929 - Wordless Wednesday


(Photograph Privately Held by Cynthia Shenette; Text Copyright (c) 2011 Cynthia Shenette) This is a photo of Tomasz Walkowski and family of Kepno, Poland.  The photo was taken in Kepno.  I do not believe the Walkowskis are related to my family but are friends of my grandmother's family who did live in Kepno.  According to family letters the Walkowskis had a son and a daughter.  The children in the photo are dressed very similarly.  Can you tell who is the boy and who is the girl?  I'm not sure, but I'll hazard a guess. My answer is at the end of this post.  I love the detail in the photo--the children's toys, the clothing styles, the decorations on the tree, the rug, the wallpaper.  The back of the photo is stamped with a photographer's stamp: Zaklad Fotograficzny / Jan Nawrocki / Kepno, Wlkp. Warszawska 23.

My Answer: The boy is the child on the left on the rocking horse, and the girl is the child on the right holding a doll.  What do you think?

Other Posts You Might Like:

(Almost) Wordless Wednesday: Me and My Doll
Amanuensis Monday: Where My Doll Came From
Not So Wordless Wednesday: Me, Our Tree, and Another Doll
Baby It's Cold Outside - Wordless Wednesday

9 comments:

Greta Koehl said...

I agree - based on clothing. However, I think the boy has girlish features and the girl has boyish features.

Cynthia Shenette said...

Greta - I couldn't figure anything out from the features. I looked and looked. I still can't decide. The age and haircuts make it especially difficult...

Jasia said...

Agree, agree, agree. The photo is interesting in all its detail, the scene is a story in itself, and the child on the left is the boy.

It looks like this family was pretty well off. The home has nice furnishings and decor and the people are nicely dressed (even if they are wearing their Sunday best).

I love combing over the Christmas tree. I can see the little candles in their holders clipped to the tree. So beautiful!

Thanks for sharing!

Cynthia Shenette said...

Good eye, Jasia! I missed the candles! I noticed the face of the angel at the top of the tree and the ornament that looks like an egg, but I didn't see the candles.

And you were right about them being well off. They owned several buildings in the city. I'm going to write more about this in an upcoming post.

Sheri Fenley said...

Merry Christmas Cynthia!

Cynthia Shenette said...

Thank you, Sheri! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

jeannie said...

Hello Cynthia.. I am your cousin. Know 2 of father's sisters. My Dad hung around with them. I am a shenette also. My dad was in the Army and was a Command sgt Major.Call your aunt pearl and she will connect you with me. Jeannie

jeannie said...

Cynthia call your aunt pearl and she will connect you with me. I'm a shenette also. My dad spent time with his cousins . I used to take the girls shopping . Your dad looks like my dad.jeannie shenette

Cynthia Shenette said...

Hi Jeannie - Nice to meet you! I got your message and will contact you! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment!