President and Mrs. Grover Cleveland - Wordless Wednesday




(Images no longer under copyright. Text copyright (c) 2011 Cynthia ShenetteTo answer the obvious question, no, the Clevelands and I are not related.  I found the President and the second Mrs. Cleveland, the former Frances Folsom,  in an photo album full of cabinet cards, Carte de Visite, and tintypes dating from around the 1880s at my in-law's house.  My mother-in-law found the album, along with three other albums of family photos, in the back of a closet in the old family farmhouse.  I spent the holiday weekend busily scanning as much as I could.  There are probably at least a couple hundred photos of one sort or another between the four albums.  My scanner and I ran out of time before the visit was up, but we'll be back...


Other Posts You Might Like:

Grandma and Grandpa's Barn - Wordless Wednesday
Not So Wordless Wednesday: View from "Grandmother's House"
The Worcester Tornado, June 9, 1953 - Those Places Thursday
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun...

3 comments:

Susan Clark said...

Do you suppose this was like the birthday cards with the president of the day wishing you a happy day? Or were they truly "big" fans?

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

The Clevelands used to summer in Massachusetts, and for two years they lived on the beach in Beverly. I'm sure that they were big news to your ancestors when they were in the area.

Cynthia Shenette said...

Susan - I read something recently that refered to cabinet cards of famous people as "sure" cards, because they were sure to make a lot of money for the people selling them! I don't know about them being "big" fans or not.

Heather - I didn't know the Clevelands summered in MA. Very interesting. My in-laws live in up-state NY. I read that Frances was originally from the Buffalo area so maybe that's the reason for the interest.

Thank you both for your comments!