A Polish Magician and Dating a Clipping - Amanuensis Monday

(Original Text, Copyright (c) 2011 Cynthia Shenette)

Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

Thanks to John Newmark at Transylvanian Dutch for providing the idea for Amanuensis Monday.

My grandfather Adolf Szerejko died in 1959 and my grandmother Antonina (Bulak) Szerejko died 31 years later in 1990. My grandmother kept this newspaper clipping in her wallet for as long as I could remember.  I pulled it out of her wallet after she died when we were going through her things.  She tried to preserve it--by laminating it.  Thankfully she wrote the date on it. 1923.

The photo and the clipping are pretty well faded.  I keep thinking I'll go down to the public library and review newspaper microfilm to see if I can get a better copy and the complete article.  How would I do that since all I have is a year?  Note the back of the clipping (See below.).  There are court records listed on the back with dates--September 28, 1923 and October case numbers.  The next time I go to the Worcester Public Library I'll take a look and see what I can find and report back.

As for this clipping, from what my grandmother told me my grandfather use to perform as a local magician for church functions and out and around Worcester.  She also told me he played the musical saw.  This clipping mentions one of his performances.

For the record, I'm going to transcribe the court/legal note on the back of the clipping in case it might prove of use to another family history researcher.  I'm not sure what paper this appeared in--the Worcester Telegram, Worcester Evening Gazette, or the Worcester Evening Post.  My guess is the Telegram, but we will have to wait and see...

(Front of Clipping)

...d in Aid of Fund for Build-...I Schoolhouse--Vincent S...the Actors.

...artists were Adolph Szerejko, Pol[ish] magician  of Worcester, who has volunteered his services.  With the assistance of Chester aJnowski, he ha[s] coached actors for the plays of th[e] St. Cecilia society for the last fiv[e] years.  Mr. Janowski will give selections on the accordion...

(Back of Clipping)

COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS
WORCESTER. SS     PROBATE COURT

NOTICE OF LIBEL FOR DIVORCE.

Whereas Shirley C. Peters of Worcester, Massachusetts has filed a libel for divorce in this court praying that a divorce from the bond of matrimony between herself and Charles F. Peters, whose last known residence was Syracuse in the state [of] New York, be decreed, for the cause...adultery, with custody of minor children and alimony, Said Charles F. Peters may appear at said Probate court at Worcester, within one month from the thirtieth day of October, A. D. 1923, and show cause why the prayer of said libel should not be granted.

LEON E. FELTON, Ass't Register. Worcester, Mass., September 28, 1923.
Oct. 2-8-15.


Other Posts You Might Like:

Circus Girls are "Normal" - Amanuensis Monday
Mystery Monday: Another Polish Wedding
Tuesday's Tip: Consider Adding Links to Your Blog
(Almost) Wordless Wednesday: A Couple of Swells

No comments: