A Comedy of Errors: My Family in the Census (Part 3 of 3)

(Copyright (c) 2011 Cynthia Shenette)

THE QUIZ

You saw this coming, didn't you?  Alright students, are your No. 2 pencils at the ready?  You have two minutes to complete the quiz.  No peeking over your neighbor's shoulder.  Eyes on your own work. No referring back to parts one and two of this post or your notes. Do your best.

You may begin...

Choose the best answer.

1. According to the 1900 U.S. Census Cynthia's great-grandfather, Antoni Bulak, and family lived in what American  city:
A. Chicago, IL
B. Worcester, MA
C. Joliet, IL
D. All of the above

2. According to the U.S. Census Antoni Bulak can be found as:
A. Tony Bolak
B. Anthony Bullock
C. Athony Bulak
D. All of the above

3. According to the U.S. Census Antoni Bulak immigrated to the United States in:
A. 1895 and 1897
B. 1896 and 1899
C. 1895 and 1896
D. All of the above

4. According to the U.S. Census Cynthia's grandmother's first name is given as:
A. Antoinette
B. Anthony
C. Anna
D. All of the above

5. According to the U.S. Census Antoni Bulak lived in the following city and/or town at one point in time or another:
A. Joliet, IL
B. Oxford, MA
C. Worcester, MA
D. All of the above, and frankly I'm exhausted by it all.

True or False

6. It is impossible to be counted in the U.S. Census more than once: True or False

7. The U.S. Census NEVER enumerates dead people: True or False

8. All of the information found in the U.S. Census is correct: True or False

9. It's best to verify census information in more than one source if at all possible: True or False

10. I am really glad I am not related to Cynthia or any of those Bulak people: True or False

Time.


Let's see how you did.  The correct answers are as follows: 1. (C) 2. (D) 3. (C) 4. (D) 5. (D) 6. (False) 7. (False) 8. (False) 9. (True) 10. (True),  and if you did answer True to "10. I am really glad I am not related to Cynthia or any of those Bulak people" I can understand your frustration, but I will admit to being just a wee bit hurt.

This concludes our reading of "A Comedy of Errors: My Family in the Census."  Be sure to check back for next week's A.P. (Advanced Placement) challenge: "Much Ado About Nothing, Or Finding Szerejkos, Radziewiczs, Kowalewskis, and Choronzaks in the U.S. Census."

A Smith, a Smith, my kingdom for a Smith!

Class dismissed.


A Comedy of Errors: My Family in the Census (Part 1 of 3)
A Comedy of Errors: My Family in the Census (Part 2 of 3)


Other Posts You Might Like:

A Slice of Life: Confessions of a Lunchbox Trader...
And The Award Goes To...
(Almost) Wordless Wednesday: The Play Elizabeth
Meditation: Family History

5 comments:

Carol said...

What a fun way to explain the census. I always heard there was about a 20% error rate, but, I believe you have taken this clan past that plateau!

I would want to be related since you have done such great work here!

Now, I have to be excused, so I can run to the little girls room, all this laughing does really snarly stuff to us ladies with a few years on our, well - - - you get the idea.

CLAP CLAP CLAP

Well done!

Susan Clark said...

I would have aced this except for answering false for #10. Think I may have to argue with the teacher on that one.

So much fun, and so well done. And I do have some Smiths and Joneses I'm perfectly willing to trade. They're even harder to track down than my Rusyns.

Cynthia Shenette said...

Carol - Interesting what you have to say about the 20% error rate. I suspect my family has pushed the odds a little higher on this one, either that or someone else's family got off easy.

Susan - Good to know about the Smiths and Joneses. I'm related to Joneses by marriage, so maybe I shouldn't offer to help them with their genealogy. The Poles have exhausted me. I will admit, even the French-Canadians have given me a run for my money, too.

I'm glad you both enjoyed this post! Since you were both so kind about answering false on #10, I'm going to give you both bonus points just for being nice! 100%!

Michelle Goodrum said...

Wonderfully creative and entertaining take on all of our woes with the various censuses.

I have to admit I did answer True to number 10 only because I've got enough crazy relatives of my own with their own senses..er census..issues.

Cynthia Shenette said...

It's okay, Michelle. No points off THIS TIME for answering true to #10. I won't take it personally. Given the situation, it sounds as if you have enough pain with your own ancestors.

Thanks for your comment!