Trip to Poland, 1937 (An Ongoing Series): Dining and Entertainment on Ship






The first image is the cover of the luncheon menu offered aboard the M.S. Pilsudski on 10 June 1937. The back of the cover states that the photo is, "A fragment of the castle at Krasiczyn, since many centuries the property of the ducal family of Sapieha. A typical country residence of the erstwhile powerful and influential aristocracy of Poland." The menu for the luncheon looks delicious, well, except for the "sauerkraut juice." Menu items include: Cold filet of capon, beef saddle, consomme with noodles, soup Russian style, omelet with spinach, poached eggs Hollandaise, roast beef Anglaise, broiled lamb chops, and petit duc. The desserts sound intriguing--rissole with jam, pudding diplomate, and pineapple ice.

The group photo was taken in the dining room aboard the M.S. Pilsudski. My aunt Helen Bulak is in the center. I believe her dining companions are Mrs. Gralicka and daughters and Mrs. Pomianowska.

The final set of images is of a program for an "entertainment" on board entitled, "Galaxy of Stars, graciously offered by the passengers of the M.S. Pilsudski." Apparently the Galaxy of Stars took place, "At sea, June 9th 1937 - 9:30 P.M."

3 comments:

GrannyPam said...

I do not think I would care for the sauerkraut juice either, but I love sauerkraut. I am finding this series very interesting.

Cynthia Shenette said...

Hi GrannyPam. I too like sauerkraut, but sauerkraut juice just does not sound appealing. Kind of like drinking pickle juice, if you know what I mean. I'm glad you're enjoying my series. Thank you for reading.

Anonymous said...

hello,
I'm writing a book about the ship m / s Pilsudski and his twin m / s Batory. Your scans are amazing! Could you send me scans of all things related to the ship to be found in the album of your aunt? Can I put it in my book? Please contact me at rogas86@wp.pl
Grzegorz Rogowski /rogas86