Sentimental Sunday: Thinking of Dad on Father's Day

(Copyright (c) 2010 Cynthia Shenette) This year is a defining year. I've lived the greater part of my life without my dad than with him. He died unexpectedly a little over 25 years ago on Mother's Day weekend. My dad was a tough man, who lived through some tough times. He had a difficult home life as a child, left home as a teenager to work with the CCCs during the Great Depression, and spent over 20 years in the military, including time in the Pacific theater during World War II. Despite his toughness, one thing I know for sure--he loved me.

I have very few photos of me with my dad. Most of the time he was the one behind the camera taking the photos. I don't know the exact date of the photo above. I'm guessing it was probably my second or third birthday, but I'm not sure. Knowing my mom, she probably put more candles on the cake than there were years in my life just to "dress it up a little." I love this photo because for a tough, serious man, you can see the rare, unguarded joy in his eyes.

It seems so long since my dad died that many of my memories of him are fuzzy. I know he'd be thrilled beyond belief to know he had a grandson. I wish he could be around to play ball with my son or go fishing with him, or tell him about his travels with the navy like he use to tell me, but it's not to be. Writing my blog and posting photos of him helps to jog my memory, to keep his memory alive for myself and for my son.

Anyway, Happy Father's Day Dad.

2 comments:

Susan Clark said...

Wonderful tribute, Cynthia. Have you seen the American Experience show about the CCC on PBS? It was on here a few weeks ago and was fascinating.

Cynthia Shenette said...

No I haven't. Thanks so much for the info. I'll have to check it out. I know my dad worked on a dam project in either New Hampshire or Vermont. I'd like to do some more research at some point. Thanks again!