A Pretty Girl on Old Cape Cod


(Copyright (c) 2010 Cynthia Shenette) This photo of my mom, Christine (Szerejko) Shenette, was taken at Craigville Beach in Barnstable, Massachusetts (Cape Cod) in July of 1951. My mom's birthday was July 20, so I wouldn't be surprised if she was at the beach to celebrate her birthday. At the time the photo was taken, my mom was 30 years old, a single professional girl, and still two years away from marrying my dad. I love this photo. I see a young, pretty girl enjoying a day at the beach and smiling for the camera. I adore the cute, striped cover-up. My mom sewed beautifully, so my guess is she made the cover-up herself. It looks like something she would make. I also love how pulled together she looks for a day at the beach--cute cover-up, a beach-bag to match her swimsuit, hair done up nicely, and lipstick. Wow! You don't see that anymore...

5 comments:

Dorene from Ohio said...

She was truly a bathing beauty!

Nancy said...

Oh, what a beautiful photograph of your beautiful mother! I think you look a lot like her, don't you?

Cynthia Shenette said...

Thank you Dorene and Nancy for your nice comments. You're right Nancy, I do look a lot like my mom. People would see us together and comment on how much we resembled one another.

FranE said...

You are right she was very stylish. I love her smile. I see you say that others say your resemble each other. Oh yes. Wonderful picture.

Cynthia Shenette said...

Thank you so much for your comment!