Follow Friday: Oh, Those Poles! and More...

(Copyright (c) 2010 Cynthia Shenette) Well I've finally decided to enter the Follow Friday discussion. After two weeks at sea blogging about my Aunt's 1937 trip to Poland I decided I needed a bit of a break. The irony of my lengthy blogging journey has not escaped me. I think my aunt spent less time at sea than I have spent writing about it. It's kind of like taking three hours to watch James Cameron's movie "Titanic" when it only took two hours for the ship to go down. Thankfully, we've finally landed, but I need a break so I've decided to do a little review of what I've been reading.

Nolichucky Roots - Susan from Nolichucky Roots and I share a common interest in Carpatho-Rusyn heritage. She is truly a woman after my own heart especially when it comes to surname variations. This week I enjoyed her story, "Catching Some Zs, or What's in a (sur) Name?" very much, where she ponders the frustration of, well Z. Susan, I feel your pain. I also enjoyed her article, "Treasure Chest Thursday: What they kept."

Basia's Polish Family: From Wilno to Worcester - I'm thrilled to find another blogger writing about the Polish community in my hometown of Worcester, Massachusetts. I have enjoyed hearing Barbara speak at a local genealogy conference and have both of her books on Worcester Poles published by Arcadia Books. Just today I found her blog article, "Finding 19th-Century Houses on 21st-Century Maps" particularly interesting and useful. Thank you Barbara.

Rainy Day Genealogy Readings - I love this blog. I started following Jennifer's blog a couple of weeks ago when I saw it mentioned in one of Greta's Genealogy Bog Follow Friday round-ups. I was fascinated by her recent article, "Topics in Research-The Great Grasshopper Plague of '74." In general, I love newspapers. Not only do newspapers offer information about our ancestors, but newspapers put our ancestor's world in context. Don't even get me started. My husband's eyes start glaze over when I periodically exclaim that I could spend the whole day reading old newspapers (and the census, and city directories). He doesn't share my level of enthusiasm, shall we say. Or maybe I just need to get out more...

Small-leaved Shamrock - I just started following this blog today. What's a nice Polish girl doing following an Irish genealogy blog for you might ask? When asked, I tell my Irish friends that there are no Irish roots in my family unless the boat from Poland made a stop in Ireland somewhere along the way. What I discovered is that Lisa's writes about her family in Schuylkill County, PA. If you read my blog posts, "Postcards from the Edge: Genealogy Road Trippin'" and "What in a Name? (An Ongoing Series): Radziewicz" you know that I've been researching Victoria (Szerejko) Radziewicz who lived for a time in Shenandoah, Schuylkill County, PA. I'm looking forward to learning about Schuylkill County from Lisa.

Finally, I found a super cool website this week--Warszawa - Wycieczka Wirtualna or a
Virtual Tour of Warsaw. I discovered my grandfather's brother, Feliks Szerejko, and his wife, Leokadia Szymanska, were married at the Church of the Holy Cross (Kosciol sw Krzyza) in Warsaw on 07 Sep 1919. If you go to the Virtual Tour of Warsaw you can actually click on a little camera icon and view a 360 view of the interior of the church. I have to say it again, cool.

That's it for this edition of Follow Friday. TGIF. It's time to get off the computer, get outside, and enjoy the weekend!

3 comments:

Susan Clark said...

Thanks for the kind words, Cynthia. And great Titanic analogy. You provided another grin today.

Greta Koehl said...

It was interesting to see that you also have an interest in Carpatho-Rusyn heritage. It is not my ethnic background, but my church has many people of Carpatho-Rusyn background, and I am interested in their traditions.

Cynthia Shenette said...

Susan and Greta, thank you so much for your comments. Susan, I'm always happy to make someone smile! Greta, I'm not of Carpatho-Rusyn heritage, but my husband's grandparents were. I find their history very interesting. The town where his grandmother came from, Zdynia, is part of Poland now.